Message Board

Wednesday, May 25, 2011

New Movie Trailer for "The Smurfs"

I recently posted that I loved the old school vibe in the "Green with Envy" trailer, but I have mixed emotions on this next trailer.  The first "Smurf" movie is on the way this summer, and any time you are dealing with a classic franchise from an awesome era, things can get tricky.  This new trailer shows the Smurfs in their traditional village and things are actually looking really cool.  The Smurfs are even being chased around by their arch rival Gargamel, which adds to the old school vibe from the cartoon.  Things unfortunately take a turn that has me questioning if this will be a winner.

As the story goes, it seems Gargamel chases the Smurfs out of their village and into the real world.  Stuff like this reminds me of a combination of the terrible Masters of the Universe movie (where the characters left their home planet in the first 10 minutes of the movie and were on Earth interacting with regular people) and the recent Alvin and the Chipmunks movies (where all the hokey comedy is the main selling point of the movie.) 

Things look great in the village, but Neil Patrick Harris doing comedy with the Smurfs may get too far out there for my liking.  I'm hoping I'm wrong and we're not going to get a goofy Alvin and the Chipmunks movie starring the Smurfs, but this trailer