Message Board

Friday, May 20, 2011

RIP "Macho Man" Randy Savage

I was a little kid, and I was new to the world of wrestling. The very first match I ever saw was Tugboat Vs Jobber on Superstars. After that, I was hooked. My parents owned a small video store in Phoenix AZ and later that day, I went in to see what wrestling VHS tapes we had there. Wrestlemania IV was it. The one with the giant Hulk Hogan pop up when you opened it up. I put that on, and watched Randy Savage win the WWF Championship. And I was instantly hooked and a huge fan, and ever since that day long ago, Randy Savage has remained my all time favorite. Sure I was a Hulkamaniac, and I loved some Ultimate Warrior, but when it came right down to putting together the all time list, Macho Man stayed at the top.

I'm not a die hard wrestling junkie like I was back in the 80s and 90s, but I am still a fan. I haven't bought a wrestling figure in a long time except on 4 occasions. 1. Was of the Million Dollar Man Ted DiBiase, he was signing autographs so I went into Toys R Us and got his figure for him to sign. The other figure, was of Andy Kaufman. But the one figure I most recently went far out of my way to find, was the Defining Moments figure of Macho Man. It was his figure from my favorite match ever, Macho Man Vs. Ultimate Warrior at Wrestlemania VII.

His matches and stories were always so engaging it would drive me insane. Back then, wrestling had a major hook. When two guys were feuding with each other, they wouldn't lay a hand on each other until the big PPV show. And if they did, it was always the villain of the story beating on our hero. Unlike today, where you see them fight every single week. I remember running to Safeway one night from my parents video store, because I heard the new issue of WWF Magazine was out and it had the photos of Flair with Miss Elizabeth.

I could go on and on about my fanboy love for "Macho Man" Randy Savage. How awesome it was to see him in Spiderman as Bonesaw McGraw. And to FINALLY have him in a current video game in WWE All Stars. In the end, it is now gonna be somewhat bittersweet and a little annoying because the WWE is FINALLY going to put him in their Hall Of Fame, where he has deserved to be for many years now. OOOOOOOOOOOOOOH YEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAHHH!!

Everyone will be posting their favorite matches of him in their blogs and tweets, but I am going to share one of my all time favorite Randy Savage moments...





Update: Pro Wrestling News Macho Man Randy Savage Died in a Car Crash
Many of our other writers and blogs will be sharing their thoughts and memories. Stay tuned.