Message Board

Friday, April 13, 2012

90's Flashback: Top 10 Movies of 1990

We're talking about the movies that when we watch it today, it takes us back to a happier time in life.

10. Ghost Dad

Yep, Ghost Dad in a top 10 best of list. But why? I saw this movie in the theater, twice, two days in a row. I had stayed home sick from school that day and my Grandma had asked me if I wanted to go see Ghost Dad, I of course said yes so we went. The next day, I woke up, still sick, and I asked if we could go see it again, and we did. Good times. But sadly today the movie doesn't hold up like it did to the 9 year old me

.

9. Gremlins 2: The New Batch
My parents owned a video store back then and we had been invited to a big studio screening of the movie. Back then that sorta thing happened every once in awhile. But we got all kinds of free Gremlins 2 stuff, and being a huge wrestling fan I loved when Hulk Hogan appeared and told the Gremlins to turn the movie back on. But when the movie came out on VHS, that part of the movie was oddly changed into something else, it was quite weird.



8. Arachnophobia
John Goodman. That is about all that needs to be said about this movie. I have loved Roseanne since day 1, and seeing that John Goodman was in a movie filled me with glee. The movie itself was kinda boring, Goodman should have been the main character.



7. Problem Child
Man this kid was an asshole. All John Ritter wanted to do was be a cool fun Dad and this kid would lose his mind and ruin birthday parties and camping trips every moment he could. Then he ran off with a serial killer and John Ritter got shot in the prune!



6. Home Alone
The top movie of 1990 in the box office. I saw this in the theater with my parents and loved it. I had the movies poster up in my room and when it came out on video I watched it daily. To this day it remains as a must watch during Christmas time.


5. Ducktales The Movie
The only movie on this list, and the only movie I can think of really from the 90s that I loved dearly, yet it never really came out on DVD. It had a short run on DVD but now only place to find it is used. Stupid Disney and their "vault".



4. Edward Sissorhands
Another movie I saw in the theater with my Grandma. My parents worked a lot at the video store, so she was the one who raised me through the 90s for the most part. If I wasn't at the video store with my parents, I was at home with my Grandma who would always take me to random movies, which you will read about more and more I'm sure. But this is another one of those movies that remains a classic that always gets watched during Christmas. And the 2nd best movie soundtrack of 1990. The first best is coming up.



3. Tremors
Such a great movie, such a failure of a franchise. No Bacon. No franchise. I remember first seeing this back then and feeling very funny whenever the chicks pants come off after getting caught up in the barb wire.


2. Dick Tracy
Holy. Epic. The music, the characters, the story, everything was amazing to me. Still to this day, this movie holds up and makes me feel like a kid. But that music, gets the chills going every time I hear it. Danny Elfman did the music for both Dick Tracy, and Edward Sissorhands.



1. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles
Of course. The best movie of 1990, is the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. I was a kid, and it was the Ninja Turtles. And back then you had to realize, this movie was like The Dark Knight of the Ninja Turtles. On TV they were always partying and having a good time, which is what I expected from a movie, but didn't get. Sure they had pizza and some laughs, but this movie was pretty dark as well, and had some DAMN serious moments. A classic.