Message Board

Monday, April 16, 2012

Review: Goon

I'm a very moderate hockey fan. When it's playoff time I pay attention to the scores on the news. I've been to a couple games, but I've never been a hardcore fan. Lately I have actually been watching the playoffs and I feel the hockey fan inside of me growing. Sadly I live in Phoenix, where we may not even have a hockey team next season, just as my fandom has arrived. But, hockey fan, or not a hockey fan, Goon should please both sides.

It stars Seann William Scott as Doug The Thug Glatt. Who is picked up by a hockey team to be their Goon. A Goon is the guy on the team whose purpose is to go out there, and take out whoever is starting some shit. If a guy on the other team plays dirty, the coach will send out the goon to take care of the problem.

At first glance the casting of Sean William Scott and the plot of the movie may make it seem like this is just a wacky guy gettin into some wacky hockey hijinks. But that is not the case, this is actually a GOOD movie. Like, really damn good. As in this may just end up in the top 10 of the year list when it comes down to it. There has been a severe shortage of R rated sports comedies. This one really nails it. There is even a little bit of drama in it to go along with the comedy. And at times may even feel like the Rocky of hockey movies. Along with William Scott is Liev Schreiber who plays the old legendary goon on his way out. You know the whole movie is leading to their eventual encounter, and William Scotts lovable dopey character interacting with his love interest, gives it that real Rocky feel.

I really dug this movie. It's currently in limited release but is also on OnDemand and iTunes for rental. Check out the trailer below.